Sunday, May 26, 2013

Recovering from when the run goes wrong

 I ran the OC half marathon. I was ill-prepared and the weekend didn't go well. The race was a painful experience both physically and emotionally. I have Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot. My back keeps pulling. In the last few weeks post race, I've considered "retiring" and just plain quitting. Maybe I'm really not a runner. But, I'm registered for several races including next weeks San Diego Rock n roll half, and the Dumbo Double Dare in late August.  I can't just quit. But emotionally my failings at the OC half taken a toll. I don't want to run like I did before. A talk with my mom set all these thoughts tumbling out. I realized what was happening. Now I have to fix it. It all started with a run. It will continue. I will continue. I am not a quitter. Let's call it a re-grouping and restart. :) 

3 comments:

Joy H said...

I would suggest skipping next weeks half....you are not ready and you don't want to aggravate an injury. If it were a 5k I would have a different opinion. Just work slowly daily without adding distance too fast.

Pat said...

Life is not "all or nothing". Neither is running. Heal, train and set out again. xoxo

Staci said...

OMG Jen, I have plantar fasciitis too from running in really worn out tennis shoes. It is by FAR the most painful thing and just doesn't seem to quit. I hope you are able to get it in check- I have it in both feet and some days I can barely walk, let alone run! NEVER again will I run in bad shoes! Keep at it cuz, you are an inspiration!!!