Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Major Moment (second)

This past Sunday I ran my 5th Half marathon. Running the OC Marathon's Half Marathon event. The course was stunning! But, it had more hills than I understood. I arrived early and though I was a little cold, my own fault, I had no issues parking or getting a shuttle to the start. I ran on too little sleep, with not enough proper training, and didn't do as we'll as I'd hoped. I finished in 3:35:02. Not terrible, but not where I wasted to be. The "glory" of my finish was deflated greatly when I learned they'd run out of medals. Photographers normally cramming for a finish/medal photo looked at me blankly. The after race treat bag was an over ripe orange and a clif bar, to be washed down with warm Gatorade. Warming blankets were no where to e found in the exit chute. I finally asked and learned the medical tent had them. Upon finding the tent I waited in line for 10 minutes, while watching others ignore the line and be handed a blanket. I then had to trek to gear pick up. Located at the far end of the post-event party. Total confusion there. Finally, thanks to a very kind volunteer, my bag was retrieved. From there I had a 1/2 mile walk to my car. Once there, the real fun started. Exiting the parking lot should have taken 10-15minutes. It took nearly 30.
All that said, I'll do it again. The course is too beautiful to miss. Hopefully the emails from participants will be read and used as learning tools.
*What I learned, never run on no sleep. *When the body is hurting it's warning you. Listen. I'm now off my running feet for a bit, due to plantar fasciitis.
*runners are the kindest most supportive people ever.
*hill work must be a part of my training always. Not just when I'm preparing for a hilly course.
Next up SD RocknRoll half. I'll try again for that sub-3. :)

No comments: